As much as we are watching our children to see what they do with thier lives, they are watching us to see what we do with ours.

Friday, November 16, 2012

Marathon Momma!!!

On November 10, 2012 I ran the Anthem Richmond Marathon with 6,000 people.   The days leading up to the race I was eager with anticipation!  From Carb loading and hydrating to nervous energy and positive thoughts, the days passed slowly.  The morning of the race I woke up around 5am and rode to the city with friends.  After meeting up with the Marathon Training Team I headed to the start. The plan for my race was to have fun, finish injury free and a time goal of less than 5 hours.    I ran the first 5 miles with one of my MTT coaches, Brigetta.  She was great at keeping me on a slow pace thus conserving energy for later in the run.  Mile 5, I was greeted by my sparkly friend Jenn A.to run a mile with me.  It was the perfect day for a run with friends at my side and the sun at my back.    

Miles 6-18 were great!  I enjoyed listening to music and all the spectators on the course.    The Lee Bridge was no problem to cross.  Around mile 18ish my quads started to cramp and I had another salt packet (my 3rd of the run) and trotted off to meet my cheering squad (aka my family) at mile 19.  It was wonderful to see my family and felt like I had a bit of home along the side of the route.  After a few quick hugs I headed off to rock the rest of the race!  At mile 20 (termed the midpoint) I met up with another of my MTT coaches, Francis who ran with me for about 2 miles.  At this point I was having pretty severe cramps in my quads and tried to run in between each water stop which were only one mile apart.    This was a struggle thus I took a 4th salt packet.  Per my coach Brigetta's advice I said to myself "Pain, you are coming with me".  Miles 22-24 I was alone again, jamming out to some good tunes and focused on the finish.  The race was going by fast and I could hardly believe I was close to the end.  At Mile 24 my sweet friend Jenn S. thankfully appeared to run a glorious mile with me.  Then at mile 25 sparkly Jenn A. cheerfully joined me again for a mile.  The last bit of the race was tough but I still had a smile on my face.

The finish was down hill and as I turned the corner not only were my quads cramped but my left calf decided to join in on the fun.  I told myself  again “pain you are coming with me” and I raced to the finish line.  I felt the pain until about 30 feet before crossing the finish line.  At that point a calm came over my body realizing that I not only ran a marathon but I had accomplished all of my goals along the way.  It was a great experience that not only challenged me but also rewarded me on many levels.  My heart surged with pride as the finishers medal was placed around my neck.  

Ready to start the race!
Found my family at mile 19
Me and my littlest cheerleader 
Loving the support from my family!
Mile 24 with Jenn S.
Mile 25 with Jenn A.
Mile 26


Made top 200 for my age group

My friend Jenn S. refers to marathon training as a six month pregnancy.  It's a very good comparison, not only for the runner but also for their support system of family and friends.  The six month marathon training required dedication, perseverance, focus, strength, making healthy decisions, and willpower.  There was pain to struggle though and a growing excitement from pushing myself to a new limit.  Leading up to the race my excitement grew with anticipation of the unknown during the last stretch of the race.  I crossed the finish line a changed person. I received a gift that I nurtured and that no one can take from me...I am a marathoner! My mind said yes and thankfully my body agreed.  I feel very thankful to have my health to be able to run a marathon.


I am grateful and humbled by my journey to the marathon. I remember those who can’t run and what they would give to have this simple gift that I take for granted.  I ran this race for my grandmother who is unable to move on her own.  I ran this race for myself to grow as a person, to be the athlete that I want to be and to overcome the unknown.   I ran this race for my children to see that anything is possible if you work hard to achieve it.  I ran and ran and ran till I hit 26.2 miles!!!

I completed the race in the top 200 for my age group.  I was #176 in my age group with a finish time of 4:38!  Not too shabby for my first marathon

10k split  1:05
Half spilt  2:15
20 mile split  3:29
Net time  4:38
Place  3036
Division Place  176
Best Mile  #14; pace 9:22
Worst Mile  #22; pace 12:06
Average Pace  10:30 per mile

"The journey is the reward.  The marathon is the victory lap"




No comments: